Please read thru the entire adoption process
Upon arrival to OLBH, all of our dogs receive a complete physical by our veterinarian. If/when they are age appropriate/healthy enough they are spayed/neutered, receive vaccinations, complete blood work up, heartworm/lyme/eurlichia and fecal tests.
For available dogs that are currently in foster homes we ask that you submit an application for review and approval prior to our scheduling a meet and greet.
For those currently here at the rescue you will need to EMAIL US to schedule a time to visit and meet the dog(s) you are interested in before we will accept and process an application. This is to ensure it will be a good fit for all.
Puppies between the age of three to five months may be a part of our Foster to Adopt program. This program is ONLY available for puppies and only because we do not do pediatric spay/neuter. The process is the same as our regular adoption process, if approved the puppy will be placed with you as a foster until he/she has been altered. At that time the adoption will be finalized.
- We require that the adoptee live in the home as part of the family.
- We require a securely fenced in yard off of the home – we do not approve invisible fencing nor kennels/fenced areas within a yard.
- For those that live in an apartment/condo setting, placement of our calmer SENIOR dogs may be considered.
- Please note that adoptions are not done on a first come first serve basis, we choose homes and approve applications based on the best environment for our canines.
- If your application is chosen and approved, we schedule a pre-adoption visit with our vet if needed and will schedule a home visit with you and your family to ensure the dog(s) is(are) going into a safe environment and one that is right for that individual dog.
- The adoptee is brought along to the home visit and if everything goes well they will get to stay with you, their new family, so you may give them a loving new home.
- The adoption fee is due at the time of the home visit and an adoption contract between yourself and this rescue will be completed.
- All medical paperwork, rabies, and microchip tags will be provided.
Our standard adoption fee is $200 unless, you fit into one of our special programs noted below; or are adopting more than one of our canines.
OLBH does adopt out of state within a reasonable distance from the rescue. However, we do not ship animals; you must come to OLBH.
Please complete this online ADOPTION APPLICATION. It will route directly to our director and you will receive a confirmation email.
DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION FOR ONE OF OUR DOGS IF YOU ARE STILL LOOKING AT OTHERS ELSEWHERE. THE PROCESS OF REVIEWING APPLICATIONS IS DONE BY A VOLUNTEER WHO ALSO HAS A FULL TIME JOB. WE CHECK OUT APPLICANTS THOUROUGHLY AND THIS TAKES TIME.
**SPECIAL PROGRAMS FOR VETERANS AND SENIORS**
VETERANS 4 VETERANS
If you are a Veteran and are looking to adopt a dog, we have several wonderful older* veterans of OLBH looking to be your loving companion. With an approved application the adoption fee is only $100. When you email to schedule a visit please be sure to let us know you are a Veteran and interested in adopting one of our veteran dogs! Thank you for your service!
SENIORS FOR SENIORS
If you are age 65+ and are looking for an older*, calmer companion we have many of those waiting for their forever homes. The adoption process and requirements are the same as listed for our regular adoptions however, the adoption fee is lowered to $100. When you email to schedule a visit please be sure to let us know you are a senior citizen and interested in adopting one of our senior dogs.
*senior dogs that qualify: Giant breeds – age 6+ / Large & Medium breeds – age 8+ / Small/Toy breeds – age 10+